Last chance to nominate your favourite shops
Shoppers are being called on to nominate their favourite shops and stores for the town’s first Retail Awards before voting closes at the end of the month.
Dom Stevens, Destination Chesterfield Manager said: “The success of the 2014 Chesterfield Retail Awards is very much in the hands of the general public. They need to nominate in order for retailers to be shortlisted.
“The awards are open to every retailer operating in the Chesterfield borough. With our wealth of independent stores and national chains operating here, I am confident there will be no shortage of nominations across all the categories.”
The awards, which are organised by Destination Chesterfield in association with Slic Training, celebrate the town’s ongoing success as one of the UK’s top 10 best performing centres with the least vacant shops. Only 7.7% of Chesterfield’s retail units are currently empty, which is only 0.7% behind the best performing large centre, Cambridge.
The 2014 Chesterfield Retail Awards nomination process is open throughout April and people can nominate online at www.chesterfield.co.uk/retailawards/nominate/ or by filling in a form available from retailers throughout town.
There are 14 categories people can nominate across, plus the coveted Retailer of the Year Award, and they may even win a £50 hamper from the Pavements Shopping Centre for their trouble.
The categories include:
• Hair and Beauty Business of the Year
• Fashion and Footwear Retailer of the Year
• Jewellery and Accessories Retailer of the Year
• Home and Gifts Retailer of the Year
• Children’s Clothes, Toys & Accessories Retailer of the Year
• Food and Drink Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by Barber Harrison & Platt
• Phones and Technology Retailer of the Year
• Leisure Retailer of the Year (Sports, Hobbies, Crafts or Outdoor)
• Market Trader of the Year – Sponsored by Chesterfield Borough Council
• Independent Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by Jumble Design
• National/ Multiple Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by the Source
• Excellence in Customer Service – Sponsored by Chesterfield College
• Market Hall Business of the Year
• Best New Store (Opened 2013/2014) – Sponsored by Banner Jones
• Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire Chamber of Commerce
The finalists in each category will be shortlisted from the nominations by a panel of judges. The winners will be announced at a grand awards ceremony which is being held at the Assembly Rooms at Chesterfield Market Hall on the 18th June 2014.
Ian Benison, Chief Executive, SLIC Training (International), said:
“It is a great pleasure to be the headline sponsor of the Chesterfield Retail Awards. As a local lad, who started a local company which is now situated in the prestigious Market Hall in town, getting involved with the Retail Awards was an easy decision.
“We see this as an opportunity to give something back to the town, to celebrate all its successes and amazing businesses. The success of the awards will be based on how the community gets involved; I urge you to nominate your favourite retailer for each category – this is your opportunity to get your much-loved venue or company noticed and acknowledged. “
Chesterfield is becoming the go-to location for developers and we look forward to welcoming new establishments such as Nandos and Boyes to the town centre as well as the recently opened Pan-dora jewellery store gracing the town’s high street.
Other sponsors include Vicar Lane Shopping, The Pavements Shopping Centre, eBusiness Works and the Derbyshire Times.
Councillor John Burrows, Leader of Chesterfield Borough Council’s said: “Launching our own Retail Awards demonstrates the continuing strength and attractiveness of Chesterfield as a shopping centre, despite the declining fortunes of high streets across the country. These awards allow us to honour our local businesses and help them to continue to thrive.”
To nominate your favourite retailer, please visit www.chesterfield.co.uk/retailawards/nominate/ and you can keep up to date on Twitter by using the hashtag #retailawards14