Chesterfield Facts and Figures
Find out some interesting Chesterfield facts and figures.
- Population of Chesterfield is 104,400
- Over 23 million people within a two hour drive.
- Provides jobs for over 48,000 people
- Over 20,000 inward commuters each day
- Lower retail vacancy rates than the national average.
- under two hours to London by train
- 12 miles from Sheffield
- 15 minutes to the Peak District
- less than one hour’s drive to 12 universities
- Has six major airports within an 80 mile radius.
- Is only 90 minutes from the east coast ports of Goole, Grimsby, Hull and Immingham providing excellent links with continental Europe and beyond.
Did you Know?
- Is home to one of the largest outdoor markets in Britain that gained its Charter in 1204.
- The 100-bed four-star hotel with function and conferencing facilities, Casa Hotel is in the top 5 hotels in England.
- The 10,500 seater football stadium and conference centre, the Proact stadium, is home of Chesterfield FC.
- Is home to the HQ of many national businesses such as Global Brands, Robinsons PLC, Cathelco, Fusion Provida and many more…
- Has a world famous landmark, the Crooked Spire, that rises to a height of 70m (228 ‘) above the ground and leans 2.89m (9’ 6”) to the south-west. The spiral twist at the base is about 45° from west to east.
- Offers a dedicated motorway junction (M1 29A) leading to Markham Vale, a business park with over 265,000 sq m of industrial, office and warehouse accommodation.
- Phoenix Brick Company at Barrow Hill is on the site of the Campbell Brick Works, built in 1927 by the Staveley Coal & Iron Company. The original kilns are still in use today.
- Hardcase International at Sheepbridge make plastic case for drums, cymbals etc. Some of their products are used by well known international artists such as Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden.
- Brampton Brewery was inspired by the original brewery of the same name which closed in 1955. Some of their beers (Golden Bud and Brampton Stout) are named after original Brampton Beers but they are made to different recipes. The original recipes have been lost.