Chesterfield Station Master Plan
Chesterfield Borough Council’s plans for development around Chesterfield station are well advanced, as set out in the recently approved Station Masterplan.
The ambitious plans are set to transform the area between the town centre and Chesterfield Railway Station – creating a vibrant gateway to North Derbyshire and setting out potential sites to create around 850 new jobs.
The master plan was subject to a four-week public consultation in early 2021, and plans are now progressing.
The proposals set out a vision for the future development of the area. Key proposals include:
- Establishing the principle of new development plots to accommodate a mix of uses with the potential to generate a minimum of approximately 850 jobs
- A new station link road (a through route) between Brimington Road and Hollis Lane with improved public transport access
- Closure of the A61 on-slip road
- A new public ‘boulevard’ for pedestrians and cyclists (including segregated cycle lanes) leading from the station to Corporation Street
- Replacement of the existing A61 footbridge between the station area and Corporation Street with a new wider bridge, including a segregated cycle route.
- Suggested changes to Corporation Street to improve accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists whilst retaining vehicle access to businesses.
- A ‘transport hub’ including a multi-storey car park (with around 550 bays) and charging points for electric vehicles
- A cycle hub with e-bike hire and secure cycle parking
- An overall layout that has the potential for a higher quality of natural habitats including more tree planting
- A new station forecourt to better accommodate buses, coaches, taxis and a drop off/collection point.
- A continuous cycle link from Hollis Lane area through to Crow Lane
Funding for regeneration at and around the station and the preparation of a master plan has been obtained by Chesterfield Borough Council and Derbyshire County Council through both the Sheffield City Region (SCR) and East Midlands (D2N2) Local Enterprise Partnerships.