Chesterfield Elder Way (Former Co-op Store)
Occupying a pivotal site in the town centre, Chesterfield Elder Way (Former Co-op Store) is a landmark mixed use scheme, breathing life into the town’s famous 1930s, Mock-Tudor former Co-op department store. The development received planning permission in December 2015 and work started on site in Winter 2017.
The first occupiers announced in February 2016 were The Premier Inn. Jomast developments began the strip of the former Co-operative department store in late 2017, in advance of a March 2018 start for conversion of the building into an 92-bed Premier Inn hotel, 7 family restaurants and a health and fitness centre. This investment will create 60 jobs.
The 92 bed hotel on the first and second floors is to be handed over to Premier Inn in November 2018 ready for final touches and staff training. It is anticipated that Premier Inn will open in January 2019.
Completion of the ground floor and basement will follow shortly after this. 7 restaurant/ bar units will be created on the ground floor along with 16,000 sqft of gym/D2 space in the basement. There will be a new courtyard area for outside eating/drinking as well as outside seating along Elder Way. The ground floor units will all benefit from new shop fronts/entrances
New restaurant, gym and hotel uses will complement each other in order to establish a destination leisure space and eating quarter.
What will Chesterfield Elder Way (Former Co-op store) comprise?
The Elder Way project will comprise of:
- 7 new ground floor restaurant units, with glazed frontages and external seating ranging between 2,929 sq ft
and 3,916 sq ft;
- A new courtyard to be incorporated to the Knifesmithgate frontage, with opportunities for outside seating;
- A 92 bedroom Premier Inn hotel on the first and second floors
- Prominent ground floor corner access on Saltergate to basement level Health and Fitness unit extending to
approximately 16,285 sq ft;
- A proposed refurbished public realm to the Elderway frontage and widened public footpaths.
Opportunities at Elder Way
Why Invest in Chesterfield
- A 156,097 Core catchment population.
- £142M Total Comparison Goods Expenditure
- CACI Retail Footprint score similar to Lancaster, Shrewsbury, St Albans and Gloucester.
- 22% AFFLUENT ACHIEVERS – High concentrations of Affluent Achievers and strong numbers of individuals in the Executive Wealthand Mature Money social categories.
- 52% MARKET SHARE – Local catchment of loyal shoppers means that Chesterfield attains 52% market share of its Core catchment.
- £14.2M A WEEK – People living within a 10 mile radius of Chesterfield spend £14.2m a week on restaurants and hotels. CACI 2017
Find out more about Elder Way
Either contact Hannah Ramsdale and Michelle Shaw at the Economic Development Team at Chesterfield Borough Council on (01246) 345255 or email firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
or the Agents for the property:
0113 234 1444