Just half of local businesses have applied for the latest business grant from Chesterfield Borough Council
Local businesses have received almost £1 million in Government grant support from Chesterfield Borough Council to help them deal with the impact of Covid-19 restrictions – but only half of eligible business have applied so far.
The council has identified more than 1500 local businesses that are eligible for the Government’s Local Restrictions Support Grants but has only received 750 applications since early November.
These grants aim to provide much needed support for businesses affected by the national lockdown which began on 5 November and eligible companies are now being urged to put forward an application.
Councillor Dean Collins, cabinet member for economic development, said: “We understand that this is an incredibly difficult period for many local businesses and there is a lot of uncertainty about the future. For many businesses these grants are a lifeline that can help them survive through ongoing restrictions.
“So far almost £1 million has been paid to local businesses through this support grant, but we are aware that there are still lots of businesses that need to apply. The application process is straightforward and can be completed online. We are prioritising processing and making these payments, so I would encourage every local business owner to check if they are eligible and get their application in as soon as possible.”
Businesses will qualify for support grants if they are a Chesterfield Borough Council rates payer and meet all the following criteria:
• the business was open and trading as usual on 4 November 2020
• it was registered for Business Rates on 5 November 2020
• it is one of the types of business that have been instructed to close
The amount that businesses can receive is dependent upon the rateable value of its premises. Find out more details about the amount of funding available here: www.chesterfield.gov.uk/businessgrants
Business owners can apply for these grants using the digital form on the Council’s website, but they will need to register for a My Chesterfield account. This will also allow the management of business rates accounts online.
As part of the application process some evidence is required, these will need to be uploaded as electronic copies, scanned images or clear photos of the following documents:
• Business Rates account reference – this is an eight-character reference beginning with five, you can find this on your annual bill
• Business bank account details – this is the account the grant will be paid into
• Proof of business bank account – the most recent statement or a screenshot of online banking, which shows the business bank details, is from within the last month and shows business transactions during this period
Find out more about the eligibility criteria and apply online here: www.chesterfield.gov.uk/businessgrants
You can also find out more about the support available to local businesses here: www.chesterfield.co.uk/business/business-support/