Maximising Your Online Presence by Gaining Authority and Ranking on Google
Learn how to get links, reviews and citations on the web to improve your authority and ranking in Google search results. These are crucial signals for Google’s algorithm in both organic web search and local search (Google Maps), but often the hardest part of search engine optimisation.
Links made by one website to another have always been used by Google’s ranking algorithm to score a page as a proxy for the likelihood humans will value the page. Google’s local (maps) search results use a similar method with “citations” of business details on third party websites used to score Google My Business listings. In recent times, Google has added “expertise, trustworthiness & authoritativeness” as factors used by its algorithm. Improving all these signals is key to your business and website ranking well.
In this workshop you’ll learn about the importance of links, how they increase the authority of your web pages and when links are of no value (or worse, can get you penalised). The session will explain how website content and its promotion to other webmasters is key to earning links, demonstrating the tools you can use to help you and examples of sites successfully implementing the techniques being explained.
You’ll also learn about local SEO, from optimising your Google My Business listing to obtaining local “citations”. You’ll also see how online reviews play an important part in ranking both your business and your website in Google, along with ways to increase your “E-A-T”: expertise, authority and trustworthiness as analysed by Google.
Who should attend this workshop?
This webinar is for anyone who manages their own website, online presence (e.g. Google My Business listing) or has responsibility for digital marketing. It is suitable for people with any level of technical knowledge about websites.
This workshop is aimed at SMEs. Please note that preference will be given to businesses based in Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.
What will we cover?
- Why links are so important in search engine optimisation
- How pages are scored using the PageRank formula
- What can stop PageRank being shared through links
- The types of website content that can attract links & how to produce it
- How to promote your content to the right audience and earn links
- Types of links to avoid or that have no value
- Using & optimising Google My Business listings
- The importance of local citations: Which are most valuable & how to get them
- Online reviews: how to increase the amount and ratings
- E-A-T: Improving your online profile to demonstrate expertise, authority and trustworthiness
- Additions & improvements to your website to help with E-A-T
- What outcomes can you expect from joining us?
- After attending this workshop, you will:Have a comprehensive understanding of why links are important
- Understand a number of different ways to get other websites to link to yours
- Know which tools can help you find link opportunities
- Have a thorough understanding of local search engine optimisation
- Understand what “E-A-T” is and ways to improve it for your business and website
- Know how to optimise your Google My Business listing
This is an interactive, Action Planning Online Workshop. You will leave this session with handouts and a practical action plan which can be implemented within your business. Where possible, we would like to encourage you to join this session with your video camera turned on and when instructed by the facilitator, you may un-mute your microphone to take full advantage of the interactive nature of the workshop. For the best user experience, we recommend joining the workshop using Chrome or Firefox as your web browser.
10.00am – 10.50am – Workshop presentation
10.50am – 11.00am – Break
11.00am – 11.50am – Workshop presentation
11.50am – 12.00pm – Break
12.00pm – 12.45pm – Workshop presentation
12.45pm – 1.00pm – Q&A
Who’ll be presenting this workshop?
Ian Lockwood is an Online Marketing and Web Design Specialist, who has worked with the Chamber since 2007. He specialises in SEO, PPC, Google Analytics and conversion rate optimisation.
During his 20-year career Ian has helped B2B and B2C businesses across all sectors to get the most from their online presence.
This workshop is hosted by the D2N2 Growth Hub, East Midlands Chamber and part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.