Exhibition: The History & Development of the Winding Wheel
This event is part of the Winding Wheel 30th Anniversary.
A specially commissioned exhibition will be on display in the Winding Wheel Function Room which traces the history and development of the Winding Wheel building, which was originally built as the Picture House cinema in 1923 and later became the Odeon in 1938.
In the 1960s the Odeon was acquired by Rank Organisation, the Ballroom was painted red and became a nightclub. The building closed as a cinema in 1981. Apart from the nightclub in the Ballroom and café area, the building lay unused for 5 years, but in 1987, Chesterfield Borough Council purchased and completely refurbished the building, taking away the fixed seating and constructing a dance floor above the stalls whilst keeping the internal décor intact.
The building reopened in 1987 as the Winding Wheel Exhibition, Entertainment and Conference Centre. In 2000 the Winding Wheel was made a Grade II Listed Building.